Wednesday 15 June 2011

Playbook Heat Stress Test

I figured that the majority of us are working our asses off every day, and many of us will take our beloved devices with us in our cars and make the daily haul to our jails...er work.  I'm sure many of you also occasionally  leave whatever you don't have strapped to you in your car for the majority of the working day.  I know in the mornings I can barely put my pants on, let alone remember to bring everything from the car to the office, and have often left a laptop or tablet and RARELY but sometimes my Blackberry/iPhone.  I generally put all this extra crap in the back seat floor - so as to be both out of the sun and away from prying eyes.  But what if... what if we left something like a Playbook or an iPad out in the direct sunlight on a scorcher of a day?  Well we shall find out today my friends.

I charged up my Playbook and my spare 9780 last night, and am currently putting them to the test.  The Playbook is powered on, Bridged to the 9780, and both are sitting on my dashboard.  Outside temperature about two hours before I wrote this is 91 Degrees, and inside my truck it's more like 115-120 (black leather does that and beyond). Add to that the sun absorbing Black material both the Bold and the PB are made out of, and the actual device temperatures are extremely high(I went to take the pic I tweeted earlier, and both devices were hot as hell... to the point of being unable to handle). Will they survive?  Will the battery cells cook beyond all recongition?  Will the Bluetooth Bridge stay connected?  What about an auto-protect mode?  We shall see what happens.  I really don't want to go get a new tablet, and to be honest I forgot to back the damn thing up last night, so I'm hoping all ends well. The test began at the official sunrise time here in Toronto - 05:39, and I am ending the test at the official 'sunset' time - 21:01 Eastern as per Environment Canada.

ASG

No comments:

Post a Comment