Monday 13 June 2011

A Foreword, and Forewarning

First and foremost, Welcome to my Blog.

To give you a little taste of who I am, and what to expect, I figured I'd post a little warm and fuzzy  'about me' welcome message to those who are awesome/brave enough to visit. 

I'm outspoken.  Let's just get that out there right now.  If a few "F" words offend you, I invite you to press the close tab button right now.  If however you have a twisted sense of humor and a deeply rooted anger at just about everything (but still manage to smile at life), read on, you'll enjoy it here I promise.  Since I can remember, I have been obsessed with technology.  When I was 6 or 7, I disassembled my parents cable TV converter box "just to see how it worked", which ended in a solitary confinement grounding and a trip to the Radio Shack for a new one.  That started it all... I was obsessed.  My first cell phone was a Motorola Microtac Analog flip radiation emitter, followed shortly after by a Startac Analog flip "phone" (phone is in quoted because the network was so bad where I lived, I was lucky to complete 25% of the calls I made... it was really just a fancy battery draining device). 

The leap to Digital came when I was in my final 2 senior years in Highschool.  Enter the Nokia 2190. This thing could make calls somewhat clear, it was heavy enough to use as a weapon, and the 400 cell 3lb Nimh Battery actually lasted through the day.  As Highschool ended and I entered the real world.... more anger set in.  People started making me angry just by being there.  No reason to be mad at them really... just the pure thought of the public made me cringe.  As such I got a Sales job at Future Shop (this is long, LONG before Best Buy got their greedy blue stained fingers all over Future Shops nuts).  I figured where else can I be surrounded by the stuff I love, while also being able to rip off every sucker that dared walk into my department. 

I was given a demo phone.  A Nokia 5190 with a revolutionary Lithium Ion Battery and this monsterous "Analog Module" that clipped between the battery and the handset.  It was literally 3in fucking thick with all this attached to it.  I was pissed till I had a "Fuck me we have reached the peak of technology" moment when I found.... Snake.  Hours were wasted in the lunchroom, people from the streets fainted in awe of this breakthrough game all somehow stored on this brand new "tiny" phone.  Add to that my badass chrome faceplate that I got from this new "ebay" site, and good god I was ready to take over the world. 


Fast Forward a few more years, mid 2000's or so.  I had long since left Future Shop, Went to University, and after that got a job selling cars.  I know... Sleazy Car Salesman.  It was a Job ok?  Anyhoo... Technology was advancing rapidly.  I now had a Motorola Razr which at the time was a badass phone.  It actually fit in my pocket without looking like I had a massive hard on, worked pretty reliably most of the time, and it was aluminum - and as such, took most of my abuse.  it also had this odd option... a micro SD card.  I think I sold a kidney for a 512mb micro SD card just to load up some shitty bitrate MP3's I ripped from Napster on there. Life was good. 

Enter the more recent years.  I started my smartphone life with a massive mistake that was the HTC Titan.  Fuck my life it was terrible.  Huge, Screen barely worked, a Flex cable that I'm pretty sure was made of paper, and it had early release Windows mobile.  I made another mistake and replaced it with an HTC Touch... I wont even go there.  After I put the Touch into an early grave,(I made it a point to break that fucking disaster as soon as I could) I grabbed a Palm Treo running Windows Mobile.  Not bad.  I still hated the mini Windows UI, the phone was kinda big, but hey it worked.  Before my ridiculous 3 year contract was up, I bought my first Blackberry - The Curve 8300.  It took a good week to do a battery pull on this fucking thing, but my god, to this day I still call it "The Tank".  It took all of my abuse, it got wet, dropped, thrown in anger, and it still stood back up and asked for more. 

After that life as I knew it was over.  I worked (and work) for a Telecom company, so I have access and have used just about every mobile device/tablet/mistake that has ever been made.  If there is something that's out there that I can't access directly, a short drive to Chinatown solves that problem rather quickly (Ever used a Blueberry with a TV tuner? This guy has).  I currently own more mobile products than I need, and are probably worth more than the GDP of Zimbabwe... or somewhere.  I'm not a Blackberry or Apple or Android fanboy, I am just an angry dude who loves/hates tech, and will now share his opinions with the world.

Stay tuned, I know this was long winded, but it only gets better and more ridiculous from here. 


ASG

No comments:

Post a Comment