Monday 25 July 2011

Research in Motions PlayBook Repair Nightmare

To begin, I am not the one that sent anything in for repair, I am just posting this in hopes of getting some attention from the powers that be at RIM, and the general public.


An avid forum member at www.crackberry.com named Smakberry sent her PlayBook in for repairs due to a power issue.  The device was dying, showing no charge when it has a charge, and only working when plugged into the wall.  After going through the process of contacting RIM, getting an RMA issued, sending it in, and waiting... she received a reply... as copied below.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. It has been a pleasure to work on this issue with you.

Our records indicate that you have an incident open with us that has not been resolved, (INC000023325205) .


This Incident is Regarding to a RMA service (Repairing service). The Repair Plant has determined that your PlayBook was deemed BER (Beyond Economical Repair) due to excessive liquid damage. As this is the case we have to option for you


1.To scrap the PlayBook at the Repair Plant, on site.

2. Have the Playbook returned to you unrepaired.

There are not fees for either option so let me know if you have any further questions. We will await your response on how you would like to proceed.



Ok.  First of all, I'm not even going to start on the award-winning spelling and grammar in the email.  That deserves an entire blog post of its own.  The real problem is that they can't prove that there is any damage done to the device, as it was sent for service down in the South USA, and Smakberry is from Canada.  At the very least, a picture or something as PROOF of liquid damage would be the VERY MINIMUM that RIM (or their 3rd party repair depot) should provide.  Smakberry adamantly promises that it never got wet - and we believe her.  Sure I know some readers may think that its a load of crap and it HAD to get wet... I disagree.  After doing my time at an RMA facility, I can tell you that first; it's not a bunch of geniuses working at these places (Can you work a Torx driver and a case opener tool?  Welcome aboard!).  Second; The burden of proof lies solely on RIM to provide evidence of Liquid Damage given that the Playbook has no user accessible panels to remove and inspect themselves.  Moisture strips don't cut it. A humid day can set those babys off and should NOT be the jury in denying a warranty claim - They should be used as a tool to investigate further ONLY.

Last point is that it's not RIM doing the work, its a 3rd party depot that probably fixes any number of electronics, has a quota, and gets paid whether they fix it or write it off.  RIM needs to step up to the plate here, and not in the form of a poorly worded email sent in haste to tell a customer "Sorry, you're Fucked". Either provide proof, or replace the unit.  IF there IS liquid damage, I want to see those pics so I can see if the battery leaked all over, in which it is RIM that is at fault for putting in a bad battery.  Also if by some miniscule chance that they have proof of valid liquid damage, at the very least offer her a solution other than scrapping the goddamn thing.

If RIM can't provide any of the above, send her a PlayBook.  Send it now, and make it snappy.  RIM is walking a fine line when it comes to retaining customers, and the last thing they need is more bad press - and more unhappy customers.

FIX IT RIM.  DO THE RIGHT THING.

ASG

3 comments:

  1. PKcable endorses this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's SmakBerry. I wanted to thank you for sharing my story with your followers.
    I just want to say that I'm in no way trying to damage or tarnish RIM's name in any way.
    I posted my story to make others aware of what's going on.
    My playbook has never seen water, and that's the truth. I don't care if I get a brand new one, although I wouldn't complain as the integrity of my unit has been compromised due to the original issue.. NOT water.
    I jsut want my precious playbook back and working like it used to. I'd be the happiest girl in Canada.
    Thanks again for sharing my story.
    SmakBerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing just happened to me. I sent my precious in because the camera stopped working. Almost three weeks later I finally get a call, We're sorry they found liquid damage inside your playbook. Would u like us to send it back or trash it!!! I raised hell, but whats the point at the end of the day. I told them if I had spilled something on it, I wouldn't even have bothered to send it in. I've supported RIM for years, I'm a BES Admin, and this is the crappy treatment I got as well. I'm so upset, missed OS 2 release, and now I'm waiting for my playbook with an inoperable camera! Thks RMA support!!!

    ReplyDelete